Sunday, February 6, 2011

Creating a Masterpiece Wall Mural on a Budget


Many of us would love to decorate our homes with top of the time designers and art, however this is extremely expensive and as trends (not to mention our tastes) come and go it seems you can never keep up. I am always surverying the latest trends, whether they be on TV or in a showhome, I am sure to keep an eye on decor and thinking of ways I can create something similar but much cheaper!

This latest idea of mine was inspired by a random clip on Tv I had seen (can't remember what exactly), but it made me think it would be a great idea. This project is not only unique but a great twist on the typical artwork you see on peoples walls but never bother to look at closely. It stands out and catches your eye and is a great topic of conversation.

I started out by finding orante picture frames anywhere I possible could. I was having no luck initially so I decided to post an ad on Kijiji.ca. A couple people responded with some very helpful suggestions. I was suggested to try out a recycle centre here in Edmonton called the REUSE centre, which charges $5 to walk out with as much as you want!!! I was thrilled! I found so many frames, many very large and gody the way I wanted them. I also found a number of other things I was looking for as well; baby food jars, photo album inserts, etc. The other place I was suggested was a small thrift store that was off the grid for me at least, called the Bissell Centre. It turns out it was very well organized, everything was clean and tidy. There were a huge selection of frames, many without the pictures already which was great! The cashier told me many people come looking for empty frames for craft projects so they just sell them like that. They were very afforadable as well ranging from $1.99 for smaller frames to $15 for a much fancier frame, which I have to admit was beauitfyllu carved and fancy.

After I gathered up all my frames I made a trip to the local HomeDepot for spraypaint. I bought a primer and a black gloss spray paint, which came to approx. $11 in total. I only needed the 2 cans as it turns out so that was excellent.


I sprayed the frames in the basement since it was extremely cold out, however I recommend doing it outside as the fumes are pretty strong. If you do it inside wear a mask to cover your mouth and nose-you don't want to inhale too much of it. Heres what it looked like.

I decided I would do the bathroom last minute as I couldn't find a picture I liked and one in the living room, I finished the bathroom (I used some of the less interesting frames as you can tell) and I am working on the living room. Here is a picture of what the bathroom wall now looks like:

No comments:

Post a Comment